Corn Bread and Sweet Milk
I was 13 years old, and I'd just been dumped by Ted for another girl. Our relationship consisted of lengthy phone conversations and passed notes in the hallway, as well as his walking me to my bus stop. I stayed in my room crying and only emerged when I was sure everyone was asleep. I snuck into the kitchen and stared into the refrigerator. "I'll make you something," my dad said, walking into the kitchen. He stuffed a glass with cornbread and chilled whole milk, then topped it with honey. "Here, this will make it better." And it did.
For the Corn Bread:
- 6 Tbsp (90 ml) refined coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 cups (270 g) white cornmeal
- 1/2 cup (65 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (50 g) sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) buttermilk
For the Sweet Milk:
- 3 1/4 cups (780 ml) whole milk
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) heavy cream
To make the Corn Bread:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Put 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil in a 9-inch (23 cm) cast iron skillet. Place the skillet in the oven to heat.
- Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
- In a different bowl, whisk together the egg and buttermilk. Make a well in the center of the cornmeal mixture and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Stir to combine. It will look lumpy. Add the remaining 5 tablespoons (75 ml) coconut oil and stir until smooth.
- When the skillet is heated, remove it very carefully from the oven and immediately pour in the batter. Some of it will start to cook at the edges immediately. This is what you want! Return the skillet to the oven and bake until the sides are golden and crispy and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let cool completely before cutting.
Meanwhile, make the Sweet Milk:
- Put the milk and cream in a pitcher.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
- When the corn bread is cool to the touch, cut a wedge.
- Place it in a 16-ounce (480 ml) drinking glass.
- Drizzle with honey and top with cold sweet milk.